Exam Free Bliss...Kind Of....

Friday 28 May 2010

Hi everyone!

Sorry I’ve been AWOL for a while. I had exams, then I went home for the weekend and now I’m back at uni waiting for everyone else to come home so we can do all the things we’ve been saying we would do since the start of the year but haven’t got round to yet. And breathe.

So, my first year of medicine is, almost, over. We have a stupid two week project thing to do starting in a week that I’m none too happy about. Every other course has nothing until results day but the medical school feel the need to give us even more work. It’s a poster project, but not poster as in Year 7 poster on cells or something (do you remember when cells were just circles with a black blob nucleus in the middle – oh those were the days!). This is a proper academic poster that is going to be printed off BIG. We have to present it to examiners and then to our peers. Sigh. Good job I didn’t take my GP clothes home with me. But it shouldn’t be too bad. Knowing medics as I do we won’t take two weeks doing it. We’ll meet up on Monday, finish it on Monday then meet up again ten minutes before the presentation the following Thursday.

And then there is the question of re-sits. I’ve been told that I won’t need to re-sit. For some reason everyone thinks I’m uber smart. I’m not. I may have been, once, but I think I reached my academic peak at 17. It’s been all downhill since then. The exams went...ok, but not great. Looking through my notes after the exam just proved how much I had got wrong. It was stupid, I know, but I didn’t look through them out of choice – the same modules were examined on the Monday and the Friday. But, in a way, seeing all my errors may have meant that I did slightly better in the Friday exam then I would have done, so maybe it’s not all bad. So, even though I want a summer completely devoid of medicine – it’s the only way I’ll be able to cope with another year of pre-clinical – I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’ll be coming back in August. That’s seriously going to mess up my Ramadan.

So what have I been doing since exams finished? Well, I’ve been trying to write. I had this one idea that I was all geared up to do but now I can’t seem to get it started. Then I have two other ideas that I really, really want to write but they’re too similar so I can’t write both. Well, I could, but part of me thinks it would be pointless. But it won’t be pointless because it would get me back in the swing. Either way I’ve wrote just over a thousand words and that’s it. I’ve lost my drive. I’ve lost my drive to do anything. There’s a possibility I’ve been in a worse mood since exams finished. Oh well.

I really need to do some exercise.

I should go try and write some more. Ummm......

P.S. I saw Robin Hood yesterday and it was gooooood. The trailer was completely misleading. I thought Robin was going to be this bad evil guy but he wasn’t. Although if you do want a really evil Robin read “Hodd” by Adam Thorpe. Apparently he cuts someone’s head off. I like what they did with the legend thought, it made a change from the usual. Prince John was amazing. And who knew that red head from ER would be good in a medieval film. But Robin, Marion, there's a time and a place. And mid-battle in the sea surrounded by dying/dead men isn't it. Just thought I'd say that.

2 comments:

E said...

A friend of mine who has seen Robin Hood said it was just unspeakable...? Lol, quite a contrast.
Writer's block also? Welcome to the club.
Resits...yikes! Don't be pessimistic!
Oh, and the last comment on your last post clearly wasn't dodgy...
=D

(Sometimes) Despondent Medic said...

Umm, interesting about Robin Hood. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't amazing but I enjoyed it. Still prefer Prince of Thieves though.
And yes, about that last comment. But he sent me an email and I checked out both his company and the one they want me to advertise and they both check out. And they're going to pay me so...hopefully it'll all work out...

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment...