The End...Of First Year...

Saturday 19 June 2010

This is it. The end. I’ve finished. First year, done and dusted. I’m officially a second year medic.

It was Result’s Day yesterday. I passed!!!!!! Every module!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m sorry. I just can’t get over the fact that everything that I thought had gone terrible actually didn’t turn out that that bad. I shrieked when I found up. I’ve been jumping up and down like a crazed teenage Jonas Brothers fan-girl all day (have you seen them? They're crazy! And when they scream - your brain explodes and you start to lose the will to live. If they were that passionate about the rest of their lives the world would be a better place. Sorry, rant over). And now I can bask in the glory of a medicine free summer. Library, here I come.

So I’m writing this in bed. This is my last night in halls. I can’t believe it’s been a year. Well, actually it’s only been 30 weeks (we pay all that money for 30 weeks!!!!!! Shocking!) but I’m going to call it a year. A year ago I sat in this bed and cried because I missed home. And now I’m sitting crying – partly because of the final episode of Glee and my messed up hormones – because I don’t want to leave. This is my room. It’s full of my junk. I’ve been trying to pack but I just keep finding things. Things I haven’t seen since I first unpacked it a year ago.

It’s crazy. I want to go home. I want to see my family and sit and watch telly and not have to worry about cooking and cleaning and (not) ironing. But I’m going to miss my independence. I’m going to miss sitting up till two in the morning watching telly on my laptop. I’m going to miss going where I want, when I want.

And I’m not looking forward to the arguments that are inevitably going to start after the two week honeymoon period is over. And I’m not looking forward to the arguments that are going to start the moment I see my Dad again.

It’s funny how this year has seen me go through so many medicine and anti-medicine phases. It started off all positive, then it went downhill and now I can’t wait to come back in October and start learning again! Crazy, isn’t it? I think I’m missing vital wires up there.

But first year has been awesome. I thought that I would never be ready to leave school but I realised that it was the perfect time for me to go. I’ve grown so much as a person over this past year. I’ve learnt how to look after myself and other equally important life skills. I’ve lived the student life and stayed up till one in the morning revising. I’ve made great friends, signed a contract on a house, caught spiders all on my lonesome. I’ve been woken up in the early hours by drunken singing and fire alarms. I’ve made the brachial plexus out of pipe cleaners, learnt about vomit, developed a fear of the prosectorium. I’ve learnt a new language – anatomy. I’ve probably seen more plays this year then I have in the past five years. I’ve cried. I’ve laughed. I’ve loved every moment of it.

But, no more medicine. At least, not till October. This summer is all about me. All about indulging my interests. It’s going to be filled with books and pads and pens and word documents and by the end of it I’m going to be happier, wiser and infinitely more well-read. And maybe I can throw in a few short stories and half a novel into the mix.

All that’s left to do now is pack. Good bye Uni. First year has been great. Thank you. I’m not sure who I’m saying thank you to but Thank You. For everything.

:D

2 comments:

E said...

Woo ^_^
...Only another 4 left, ahem.
=P

Hummus said...

AWESOME! Well done! :D I hope you're still celebrating :P
Ah, it's okay, you'll have home and anti-home phases, just like with medicine. Just appreciate having an actual break from thinking, I know I can't wait ¬_¬ lol
You caught spiders :| *shudders*
And I'm so jealous of you seeing plays! And of your brachial plexus idea. I wish I'd done that, lol, would've made it so much more fun.
Totally indulge yourself over summer :D Read, write and generally bask in the sun. Total heaven...
Well done again!
*waves*

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment...